What is Cal grant application?
If you are from California and a student wondering where to get the funds from to continue further with your studies, maybe you should watch out for the Cal Grants. They are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), and there are various different ways to apply for it.
If you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or even the California Dream Act application, and if your high school provides a verified grade point average (GPA), you can apply that way.
Selection is done on the basis of one’s financial need, academic skills and performance, and other relevant factors. The Cal Grant application deadline is March 2 every year.With their scholarship, you can cater to your needs if you are planning to visit any of the three Californian universities for your degrees: the California State University, the California Community College, or the University of California.
The state aid programs are not administered. The easiest way to apply is through the FAFSA.
If you want to apply for the Cal Grant, you must remember that the deadline is March 2. If you do not apply by March 2, you will never be able to come up with it that year.
Cal grant application Eligibility
If you wish to find out about the eligibility of the California Grant, you need to find out if you fit into the below criteria.
- Submit the FAFSA, Dream Act applications along with your Cal Grant GPA by March 2.
- You must be an eligible US citizen, noncitizen, or meet the AB540 criteria of eligibility.
- To get the scholarship, you must have been a California resident for at least a year.
- In addition, as a qualifying category, you must attend the California College.
- You should not have a previous bachelor’s degree or any other professional degree.
- Your financial need for going to college must be specified clearly.
- It should be proven that your family’s income and assets are not enough to support your education.
- You must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree or certificate program to get the Cal grant application.
- When planning for college, enrol for at least half of the time.
- You must not owe anything to the state as a state or federal grantee or a defaulter on a student loan.
- One must not have been incarcerated previously under any circumstances.
- Your academic records must be satisfactory in all ways.
Here’s more for those who wish to understand it deeply.
|Cal Grant A||Cal Grant B|
|It is for the student who would fall in the low to middle income groups||Only for low income students|
|A GPA of 3.00 is a must||A GPA of 2.00 is essential|
|The minimum need is $7242||They must have a minimum need of $700|
|The academic program length must be 2-4 years||The program length must at least be a year|
|Tuition and fees will be covered||Even living expenses are included|
You will need the following documents to apply;
- Your birth or age related proofs
- You must be up to date on your address proofs.
- As a student, you need to submit your training transcripts, certificates, and other such details.
- Proof of your family’s income and other available assets.
- Your social security number must be entered in your application form.
How to get form?
You can get the form online once you click on the link. You can fill it and then download it, or try doing it the other way around.
The CA Dream Act, try out this form for getting the Cal Grant application.
How to apply for Cal grant application?
To apply for Cal Grant, try any of the four options.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- CA Dream Act Application (CADAA)
- WebGrants 4 for Students (WG4S)
- The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) requires you to submit your GPA verification form.
- Complete the student portion, and then ask the registrar to complete the GPA.
- Once you have asked the registrar and it’s been done from their side and sent, confirm by creating an account with WG4S.
- Once you create an account, check online if your GPA is updated.
For those who have completed 24 or more USC units, the GPA verification will be automatic, and all you need to do is submit the FAFSA.
How to check status?
You can log on to your FAFSA, WG4S or CADAA platforms to check the application status for your Cal Grant.
All you need to do is just enter your username and password, and once you are inside the portal, check for the application status to understand where your application stands.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Do you need to pay the CAL Grant amount?
No, it is for students who are planning to take an undergraduate course or a vocational or professional training course, and the grant money need not be returned.
How much is CAL Grant amount?
For CSU it is $5742.
UC is $13,104,
Profit (Non WASC) – $4,000,
Profit (WASC) – $8,056, and
Private Non-Profit – $9,358
If you have the desire to study further but are not able to do so due to your current economic needs, think again and take up the CAL State grant. Your eligibility will include at least a one year stay in any of the California counties. If you want to learn more, read this article to learn about the application process.