Update: From January 1st 2022, new cards printed are going to be without an expiration date. Concealed Carry License (CCL) and CCL + FOID have a date of expiry on the front of the card.
Illinois FOID card application is required for firearm possession in the state of Illinois. To possess a firearm, Taser, Stun gun, or even firearm ammunition requires the individual to have FOID approval. FOID expires every 10 years. The military FOID card is issued to military officials for 10 years for free.
The State of Texas and Tennessee also have the same laws for carrying firearms and you would need a card issued by their state for keeping firearms as civilian or military personnel.
Illionis FOID card Application Requirements
For the FOID card, you must fulfill the following criteria.
- You must be 21 years or older, if you are underage, your guardian or parent’s consent is important.
- You must be a resident of Illinois.
- You should not have charges of felony and addiction against you.
- Those who want to apply for it must not be mentally or physically disabled. They should not have any developmental disability as well.
- there should not be an order of protection against you and you should also not have stalking charges or any kind of contract charges against you.
- You must not have any domestic battery charges labeled against you.
- In your previous five-year span, you have not been convicted of using a firearm in any crime.
- An illegal alien of any sort and has been dishonorably discharged from the US military under any circumstance.
- You must not have sort of failed drug test charges against you for which you took any type of prescription drugs.
- The government would not entertain bookings against you on non-immigrant visa charges from the immigration and nationality act.
- No domestic violence conviction or protection orders, no charges of conviction for assault or a fugitive at any time.
- The candidate has never given up US citizenship.
- No discharges from the Armed Forces ever happened due to dishonorable reasons.
- You will need a Driver’s license or any other state identification card.
- A photograph is required of your head and shoulder from the last days.
- A credit card or electronic check of $10 is a must to pay.
How to apply for an Illinois FOID card application?
To file for the Illinois FOID card, you will have to be eligible as per the above requirements.
Eligible candidates can apply online for this card.
An application fee of $10 and a service fee of 2.35% of a credit card transaction or $1 for an electronic check are to be submitted by the candidate.
- Your demographic details.
- A State issued ID card
- You need a color passport size photograph of your face.
- Go to the Illinois State Police website, click on the Firearm section under the Agency link.
- Press on Firearm’s owner identification program.
- From here you will move to a page that says FOID card and then begin the application process.
- Register by creating a user ID and password.
- Complete the application and then upload the photo appropriately.
Additionally, you can also apply through your phone by calling up the state police department at 217-782-7980. Pay your fee over the phone and then give partial information to begin the application process.
The Police Department would mail you the incomplete application form which you have to download and then you must paste your photograph on it. Additionally, don’t forget to sign it and then mail them back the completed application form.
How long does it take for the Illinois Foid card to be approved?
Illinois FOID cards are taking an average of 70 days to get approved by the department. According to the current update, it can be done in less than a month’s time.
How to renew a card?
After logging in one must select Renew FOID card tab. Follow the instructions and fill in the details which include your previous card details as well.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How to check the application status for FOID application?
The FOID card application status can be obtained by signing in to your online account that you have with them. Once you sign in, you can easily check the status of your FOID application easily from here.
How many rounds of Firearms are permitted for firing?
For a shotgun, you cannot have a capacity of more than five rounds.
Any slide action shotgun capacity of lesser than fifteen rounds is permitted.
A long gun magazine capacity of fifteen rounds or more is not allowed.
If you have a FOID card, can you carry a gun in your car?
Yes, you can keep and carry a gun or transfer it from one place to another in your car if you have a FOID card.
How to Find Foid card application number
Once you fill in the online application a FOID card application number is to be generated and this number helps you check the status of your application until you have been assigned the FOID card.
The FOID card is one of the best ways to make your firearm use legal in Illinois. If you want to transfer firearms from one place to another, you will need this card. Also, there is a permitted number of bullets you can carry if you have FOID card. Find the FOID details from this article for more information and before you apply, you must read the details from here.