What is IRS EIN application?
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) of the Internal Revenue System (IRS) is also synonymously known as the Federal Tax Identification Number, a nine-digit number. Getting an EIN is easy and does not involve any expenditure from your end.
You must have an EIN if you have the go for the following functions:
- Opening financial accounts will require your EIN.
- When wanting to hire employees you need to have the company EIN with you.
- To track company records, you will need the EIN.
- For payment of taxes and compliance with it requires the EIN.
- You are eligible for one EIN for each responsible party each day.
How to get IRS EIN application form online?
Fill out the Form SS4 and mail it or use their telephonic application process or try their fax. In each of these processes, you will need to fill your SS4 that must be sent to them. Additionally, you can also apply for the EIN online using their online portal.
IRS EIN Application Online Process Guide
Visit the website To start the application process.
Focus on this segment if you wish to apply for the IRS EIN.
- Mention the type of legal structure you have for your business when applying for EIN.
- Mention the type of business and confirm it, then move on to the next question.
- Mention the reason why you want to have a new EIN.
- In the next segment, add the first, middle and last name alongwith your SSN/ITIN. Choose your validations and then move on to add addresses, and additional details and then proceed to the EIN confirmation page before submitting the application.
What are the Application Requirements?
The requirements for IRS EIN Application will involve the fulfillment of the following conditions;
- Individuals applying for it must be US citizens.
- They must have a Tax Identification Number or a Social Security Number
- Those within the purview of these kinds of organizations can apply- sole proprietorships, nonprofits, partnerships, limited liability companies (LLC), corporates or government agencies.
- There is no requirement for the size of the organization and it could span from one owner to an organization with thousands of employees.
- The legal name of the business, people applying for it, trade name, complete mailing address, name, and social security number of the business owner is a must.
Who is Eligible for IRS EIN Application?
You will need an EIN if you are affirmative on the following points.
- Those who have employees
- For those who operate their business as a corporation or run it as a partnership firm
- If you file any of these tax returns like Employment, Excise, Alcohol, Tobacco or Firearms.
- You deduct income tax for any of the non-resident members.
- Those who have a Keogh plan
- If you are involved with any of the different organization types like trusts, estates, non-profit organizations, farmer’s cooperatives, or planned administrators.
All these people will require an EIN application for an EIN that they will have to use everywhere in their business.
There is no fee for filing an EIN application as it is an absolutely free service from the Federal government. However, there are many websites charge you for filing an EIN fraudulently.
These are EIN timelines you need to stick to;
|Type of application||EIN receipt duration|
|Mail applications||4-5 weeks|
|Mention a return fax number||One week|
|Do not mention a return fax number||Two weeks|
- Mail applications require just four to five weeks for processing.
- For those whose EIN application requires changes when done online, if changes are made quickly in the SS4 form, the assignment of a new number will be done within 4 days.
- Online applications will enable you to have an EIN immediately if all your information is correct.
- If you mention a return fax number, it takes a week to send you back an EIN.
- For those who do not mention a return fax number, it can take you around two weeks for returning the EIN.
How to check IRS EIN application status online?
Right now there is no way to check the online application status for the EIN. There is only one way to check the EIN application – by calling the IRS at (+1) 800-829-4933 and then by following the prompts.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
How much does an EIN number cost?
The Employee Identification Number is a number that you can get absolutely free of cost. There are no charges towards filing for an EIN application, and except for filing an EIN application there is nothing else you need to do towards acquiring an EIN.
Can I get an EIN number instantly?
Yes, those who file their application online can expect an EIN instantly or within a day. But those who fax/mail/call them might need longer timespans for getting an EIN.
How do I get a free EIN number from the IRS?
All you need to do is find some time to fill out the online application for EIN. EIN is always free and it will not need any further amount payments at any stage. There are no other processes if you have filled in the application form rightly and attached the correct proofs.
What information is needed to apply for an EIN online?
To apply for an EIN online, you must have the following details with you.
- Social security number or the ITIN
- The type of business that is requesting the EIN
- Number of members when applying for an LLC
- Corporations need to mention the state or country where the incorporation has taken place
- The starting date or the acquiring date of the business
- The total expected employee numbers in the next years’ time
- The date when the wages were paid for the first time
- The primary reasons why the business exists in the first place
- Enter all the details about the owner and the business.
The IRS EIN application is one of the best feet forward for your business. For everything you do, your business will require to produce the EIN. Thus, it is most preferred that you apply for the EIN as soon as you can. Primarily you will need it for filing the federal tax reporting. Here is all that you need to know about the EIN application process. But remember, to get it within a day you must use their online portal which is not only fast but an almost instantaneous and effective way of generating the EIN.