People with a proven work history can receive Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (SSDI) benefits. Automatically an individual will get qualified for Medicare post two years of disability payment receipt. Only those who have suffered from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS] would not be eligible for SSDI application but an immediate Medicare plan.
Know more about the details from the below segment.
How to Apply for SSDI application?
Those applying for a SSDI benefit for a disabled child lesser than 18-year-old or a senior more than 65 years must provide their paper applications directly to the social security offices. These two age groups will not be able to apply online but adults can definitely apply online.
You can apply online by using the link of SSDI application by visiting their official website.
Also, you can apply by calling them at the given numbers: +1 800-772-1213 and +1 800-325-0778 for deaf or partially deaf individuals.
Alternately, visit the social security office to apply in-person for SSDI application.
Applicants will have to fill in the application form by entering the following details.
- Include your place of birth alongwith the date of your birth.
- You need to also enter your name, social security number, and details about your current of former spouse. Incorporate details about your minors.
- Add your bank and financial organization’s routing number and account number.
- Details of your disease, patient ID numbers, and treatment dates including other health necessities will need to be added.
- Medical tests, doctor’s name, and also medicine details need to go into the application form.
- Your previous employer’s details
- A copy of your social security statement and the jobs done in the last fifteen years need to go in.
- You will also have to mail all the documents to them either via mail or electronically.
After submitting the initial SSDI application, you will next need to submit the following details.
- An applicant will need to sign an SSA -827 and an Agency Release of Information form.
- Sign SSA-1696 to claim authorized representative status.
- Complete SSA-8000 and obtain any needed supporting documentation.
- Submit paper SSA-16 and SSA-3368 after you are ready with the application form.
What are SSDI application Requirements?
Several documents are needed to put your application forward to accept your SSDI benefits.
- Your medical prescription, diagnostic details and names of medicines must go into your application.
- Provide your social security statement document copy.
- If you ever served the US military, you need to submit the beginning and ending dates alongwith your US military discharge papers.
- List all your jobs that you held in the last fifteen years with different organizations.
- Provide proof of the money you received as compensation for your work in the past year.
- Your bank’s financial details like your routing number and account number.
- Birth certificate as proof of your age.
- US citizenship proof in any form applicable.
- W-2 forms or tax returns
- Award letters, pay stubs, and any other temporary worker’s compensation reports must also be attached.
- Medical release form must also be tagged with your application.
Who is Eligible?
SSDI can be taken by every working adult whenever they are not able to work for a certain time span due to some injury led eligibility.
- You must be 18-years or older.
- There is no benefit that you receive on your social security record currently.
- Only those who suffer from a disability that can last more than 12 months or lead to death is what people can apply for.
- If you were not rejected disability benefits in the past sixty days.
- You need to have a contact that can be reached for your medical condition.
- Provide with the test and medicine names you have to undergo for your medical condition.
- Date of treatments, name of doctors, and the patient ID numbers are essential for sending in your application.
SSDI application Benefits
You can get paid even when you are unable to fend for your family or self during a certain span of time.
If you plan to apply online, here is what you will benefit.
- Application can be made directly from the comforts of your home and you will not need to visit any office.
- No appointments are needed when you apply online which means disability benefits can start immediately.
- You can open, close and save your application whenever you want.
- Even if you are placed out of the States, you can still file your application.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How long does it take to fill out SSDI application?
You will have a sixty day span to submit your completed application form for SSDI. This period of 60 days is known as the protective filing date (PFD).
How do I know if I was approved for SSDI?
You will receive a mail or a letter if you are approved. Additionally, you will be able to see their decision right on your online account. After you have your online account, you can get back to it everytime by checking the application status every now and then to determine if you have been approved.
Can you apply for SSDI if you are still working?
You are allowed to work even when you file for disability. But you must either be working part time or reduced hours and your income must be below your monthly income limits. Those who receive accommodation when working will see a reduction in the rent amount from their SSDI benefits if and when they are approved for it.
How does SSDI determine eligibility?
Your disability details need to meet their said criteria and also your income must be lesser than what they have prescribed in their accepted income list.
They would confirm more on your disability by asking your medical practitioner and also following up closely on the details that you have provided them with.
What to write in remarks in application form SSDI?
There are certain things you have to write in your comments like;
- How you felt before your disability and how do you feel now.
- Describe your disability and your pains also include the limitations that have changed you and the way you live.
- Also provide details as to how you previously interacted with family and friends and how you do it now.
- As a person what changes you see in yourself, describe all of it.
SSDI benefits are a lifesaver for many families. If you had recently been disabled, you will need to follow closely with the application process and find out more on it. Also, send in your applications, and the best way to apply is through their online mode. After applying wait until you receive their confirmation. Once you receive their confirmation, you must wait for almost five months before you start your SSDI benefits as it is only after six months of disability that you can start on the benefits.