Are you planning to visit Canada but wondering how to follow the legalities? Applying for TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) can solve many of your problems. In this blog, we will discuss the TRV and how one can apply for it and avail of the benefits. Read this entire blog to learn about the TRV application and all other related details.
What is the TRV application?
With a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), which is a document granted by the Canadian government, foreign citizens can travel, visit loved ones, or do business while temporarily living in Canada. The term “visitor visa” is also frequently used to refer to the TRV. It is a travel permit attached to an individual’s passport. This allows them to enter Canada for a certain duration legally.
For countries that require visas for travel, or if you belong to a visa-required country, it is necessary to have TRV before you enter Canada. However, visa-exempt countries must have Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada by air (Not land & sea).
Eligibility & Requirements of TRV
To validate any document or to get access to any counterfoil, you must check its eligibility criteria. To know about the eligibility and document requirements of TRV, have a look at the list below:
- You must have a valid and legal travel document (Ex: Passport)
- Must be in good health and state of mind to travel
- Have no criminal records and background
- No convictions relating to immigration
- Need to convince the immigration officer when you enter that you will exit Canada once your duration to stay expires.
- Have a healthy bank balance to finance your stay
- Need to convince the immigration officer about your healthy financial background, like current jobs, assets, saving, etc. This is to ensure you are capable enough to return to your nation.
You have to select your reason for your visit to Canada, and accordingly, document requirements will be asked. There are 4 options, among which you have to select the reason for a Canada visit. The whole process goes as follows:
- Visit canada.ca > choose language > Immigration and Citizenship > Visit Canada > Supporting documents, to head over to the official website of TRV that tells you about the supporting documents needed
- Click on “Supporting Documents”
- Scroll down and click on the pop-menu that says- “Why are you visiting Canada”
- Make your selection
- On clicking on the option, the list and details of documentation will be displayed below
- Scroll down and go through the complete details
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) will likely shower its benefits to a broader audience. The advantages of having TRV are listed below:
- Having TRV will allow you to enter or re-enter Canada legally.
- It gives you authorized admission to Canada as a worker/student/visitor.
- If you have a student or study permit along with TRV, it becomes easy to establish your stay in Canada with less paperwork.
- If you have TRV and a work permit, the Canadian Government allows you to stay and work in Canada as a foreign worker. (Remember that the Visa Officials and the border services officer at the port of entry decide the duration of stay.)
How to apply?
Get a detailed guide on how to apply for Temporary Resident Visa via their official website. Follow this easy steps guide, and you can successfully apply for a Canada visitor visa.
- To begin with, you need to keep the supporting documents ready. (To know the document requirements, head to our previous section, explaining how to check for the supporting document requirements.)
- Find out about the biometric requirement from the visa office itself
- After you have the required documents and information, you need to apply online by creating an account
- The next step is to Upload your documents
- And then pay your fees
- Also, do not forget to submit the biometrics information as asked by the portal
This is how you can successfully apply for TRV and then let your application process.
How to apply for TRV application after getting a work permit?
If you have a work permit for Canada, applying for TRV will make your job much easier. You can easily enter Canada for an extended period and stay there to work out your living.
The process to apply for TRV remains the same as above.
TRV application processing time
It is essential to keep track of your application. To do so, refer to your TRV application’s processing time.
Remember that processing time varies with countries, hence to check your processing time, follow the steps below:
- Reach directly to the portal
- After that, select the Application Type
- For each application type, their different set of questions asked where you have to make your selection among the choices given.
- Once you have done, select your country, and the portal will display the processing time of the TRV application for individuals residing in that country.
You can also refer to the new update changes from the website itself. (Link is attached above)
TRV application fee
Here is brief information on the fee structure of TRV.
Processing and payment collecting (before February 6, 2014)
- Single entrance fee of $75 [R296(1)]
- $150 for a single submission; originally R297(1)
- The maximum charge for a family, whether they enter once or more, is $400 [R296(3)]. R297(2) was earlier mentioned as well.
Processing and payment collecting (on or after February 6, 2014)
- $100 for a single submission or several entries [R296(1)]
- Maximum family cost of $500 for single or multiple entries [R296(3)]
How to check the status?
To check the status of the TRV application, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, visit the Canada Immigration Official website, and then from the homepage locate the status button. click on it
- Then scroll down and choose the pop-menu
- A drop-down menu appears
- Select Visitor Visa
- Scroll down, and you will see an Online Application tab
- If you have applied online, click on Sign-in Account followed by clicking on “Check status and messages” under the “View my submitted applications or profiles” section.
This is how you can view your TRV application status.
Can I apply for TRV from outside Canada?
Yes, you can apply for TRV from outside Canada. TRV is for those who come visa required countries.
How do I request a TRV?
You can visit its online portal and submit the TRV application form. You must ensure you pass the eligibility criteria and have all the supporting documents ready. After that, follow the procedure mentioned in the blog to request your TRV.
How much is the TRV fee?
TRV fee depends upon various scenarios and has got a vast fee structure. You can refer to its website to study the fee.
We have reached the end of this article. Hopefully, now you must be knowledgeable about TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) and every process included to claim this visa for traveling to Canada. Follow this guide correctly, and you can do all the operations systematically.