Firefighter jobs are a dream of the middle class of every community. There is fame, heroism and money and that is all a man needs to live their life. But the job in itself is not easy as whenever there is a fire they are the first one to reach the site. Most often, they risk their lives to save other people’s lives. Chicago, one of the busiest firefighting units in the United States needs an application whenever anyone is interested in a firefighting job. There are almost 1108 Illinois Fire Units present in the National Fire Department Registry. To understand what will be the requirements and the eligibility criteria, here is a bit about the details you may need to reference when you are thinking of applying for a position.
How to apply for Chicago fire department application?
Once you are on the Chicago Firefighting page, you will have to click on the Firefighter or EMT job application page.
- It will take you to the third party site (Taleo), where the firefighter application is listed online.
- Click on the Firefighter job link to start the application process.
- Read the details from the page for further job related information including salary structures, responsibilities and many more other such information. Once you have read all the terms and conditions, you must click on the Apply tab.
- The next option will be to add the login details like the username and password. You will also have to pay a non-refundable fee of $30.
If you are a new user, you must click on the new user link. Register by adding your username and password and then click on the Register tab.
- After you register, you will be able to include the application details like your personal information alongwith your educational details and your previous professional details. Include more about your firefighting skills and degrees.
- You must add EMT certification, and required education details and then after putting through the application, you will also need to clear the CPAT.
What are Application Requirements?
The application requirements for a firefighter job will include the following;
- You must have an EMT-Paramedic license from Illinois.
- Add your driver’s license and CPR certification.
- You must have one of the following certifications- advanced or basic trauma life support, prehospital or international trauma life support and also advanced cardiac life support.
- The individual must apply for pre-employment screening in any one of the fields-
- Paramedic Physical Ability Test is a must pass for those who wish to apply.
- They must be ready for background verification and must be ready for fingerprinting.
- Include drug test details and medical screening.
Who is Eligible?
Eligible candidates for the Chicago Firefighting division must have the following;
- They must take up residency within the city limits of Chicago.
- Anyone applying must be 18 years and above and no one can be above 37 years.
- A high school diploma is a must or even a GED certificate is essential.
Salary Details/Pay per hour
Salary details or pay per hour for the Fire Fighter is $62,150 every year. After 5-years, your pay will go as high as $92,796/-.
They are also eligible for holiday payments, duty availability payments, speciality pay and even can receive their uniform allowance.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Is Chicago Fire department hiring?
Currently, they are not hiring and are in the process of completing the previously advertised details. Later, they might hire again and will put out an advertisement soon.
How to Chicago Fire Department Application Status?
Dial 311 if you are within Chicago and if outside Chicago, you can try 312.744.5000.
Here is what you must know about the Chicago Fire Fighting department application. For those who live in Chicago and wish to become firefighters, their dream is not difficult once you know all the little essential details that you must know.