Utility bills can wreak havoc on a man’s budget and when there are some weather extremes to handle or some unforeseen challenges, it can be a difficult scenario. For low-income households, it is an equally daunting task, and paying the bills is one way to survive the harsh weather conditions, unforeseen fluctuations, and supply shortages.
What is Texas Utility Help Program?
To mitigate such problems, the government in Texas plans to help many low-income households by paying off six to eight highest utility bills. They also plan to train the households to save energy to face future turmoil that might arise through appropriate and suitable energy education.
- Under the Texas Utility Help program assistance, low-income families can expect payment of utility bills primarily for households that have elderly or disabled individuals.
- They also plan to train people to mitigate energy crises by educating them more on the ways they must use their electricity, water, and gas use primarily.
- During supply shortages, these families can expect help.
- When there is a severe energy-related crisis or severe weather conditions, help will be on the way from this program.
Those who qualify for the program will pay $12.75 less towards their monthly telephone tariffs.
Who is Eligible?
The eligibility of an individual depends on the following;
- If your household has members who receive payments from the SSI every month or receive means-tested veteran program payments, they are eligible automatically.
- Household income based on the number of householders can help determine eligibility. Refer to the table to understand if you are eligible based on your household income.
- For victims of family violence, the tariff for the electricity bill is waived.
- At least one member in the family should be a qualified alien or a US citizen.
What are the application requirements?
The application requirements for the Texas Utility Help Program consist of the following essentials.
- You must submit proof of your joint household income by summing up all the individual’s earnings under separate headers.
- Individuals will need to submit their identity proofs as US citizens.
- To qualify, you need to submit your bills with them. Preferably the bills when you paid the highest for your water, electricity, and natural gas.
Also Read: How to get Texas Homeowner Assistance Fund?
Texas utility help Program application Online (in Steps)
- You can apply for the Texas utility help program application online.
- Alternatively, you can call 1-877-399-8939 which works as a toll-free number. Calling time is between 08:00 am to 05:00 pm from Monday through Friday. When you call the toll-free number it will directly connect you to a local CEAP service provider within your county.
- Or else, you can directly call or connect with the local sub-recipient agency.
To apply online, this is how you must proceed.
Move to the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs and then directly move to the Utility Bill Payment Help section.
- Click on the Apply Now tab to start the Texas utility help program application process.
- Add your personal information.
- Include your financial information
- Add all the financial help that you receive from grants and benefit schemes.
- If you are a war veteran, elderly or disabled include proof for the same.
- Include the bill details and also append the bill for those months when you paid the highest.
- Once done, click on the Submit tab to complete the application process.
Also Read: How to get a job at Hot Topic Online?
Applicants receive the following monetary benefits from the Texas utility help program.
- Qualified individuals can receive help with late payments of electricity, gas, and propane.
- They can accommodate up to $2400 of future payments.
- For wastewater management and water, applicants can pay off their past bills and almost $600 of future payments using this money.
For participating in the Texas utility help program, you will need to read all the details as they are given here. Once you have read all the essential information, you will know how to apply. The online application allows you to verify your own details quickly and almost on the same day. If you wish to, however, call the local office for application assistance, you can also take their help.