Transfer students are quite a common scenario in colleges. Many take a transfer due to the family shifting from one to another location. On many occasions, they shift as they are moving away from the place. Some other times there are other reasons for shifting among students who make that choice. Every college in the United States is capable of handling this kind of migrating students.
Every year thousands of students throng the City University of New York (CUNY) for different reasons. Affordable and high-quality degrees mark the CUNY education program and students often love to have a degree from there. For those students who are transferring from other colleges to CUNY, they will need to look at the eligibility and application criteria of the college.
Who is Eligible for CUNY Transfer Application?
You are eligible for CUNY if you meet the below requirements when transferring yourself.
- You must be a New York resident or if a transfer student, then you must provide suitable transfer proofs for immediate entry into colleges.
- Enrol at a CUNY college for a two-year or a four-year term.
- Attending school full-time is a must for those who apply to CUNY.
- A most recent cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above is a must.
- CUNY internal institution transfers will need D or better scores and those moving from other organizations must receive C as transfer credit.
What are Application Requirements?
There are many application requirements that one must meet for CUNY Transfer. Official transcripts must be submitted from every school that a student has attended.
- An official transcript from every school that one attended or the equivalent diploma.
- Official transcript from every college or university that one has attended.
- If students have attended proprietary schools then their official transcripts must also be submitted.
- Provide essays and recommendation letters to support your application.
You can apply to as many as four CUNY organizations but you will have to submit only one set of documents to them.
For students who were outside of the United States and wish to transfer to CUNY, you will need to submit the following.
- Submit a copy of the entire academic record from all years including any government certificates that you might have earned during the period.
- Each of the Universities you attended, submit a transcript from them to get admission consideration.
- If you have finished less than one year of college, you must submit secondary school records and university records from previous years.
- If you are educated in a non-English speaking school, you must submit the official test scores of one of the following;
- IELTS (academic grades)
- PTE and
How to apply for CUNY transfer application?
To apply for CUNY, you must use the below steps for your application.
- First, create a login account where you can either use a guest account or your CUNY account.
- Choose the type of application as a transfer for the application process.
- Fill in all the details as required in the application including the details of the college or university from where you are transferring.
- Include all your degrees and qualifications as well as your personal records.
- You must pay the transfer application fee of $70 and to submit your fee online, use a MasterCard, Amex, VISA, Discover or e-check.
To send money via money order mail make it payable to CUNY and add your CUNY First ID number and send it across to the address;
CUNY UAPC Lockbox
Mail Code: 8770
P.O. Box 7247
Philadelphia, PA 19170-8770
Complete the Review Summary and then submit the CUNY application.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How long does application process take?
It can take somewhere from 6-8 weeks after your details arrive at CUNY/UAPC if you want to process the application.
How to check CUNY transfer application status?
For initiating the CUNY transfer application status, you must complete the following steps.
- Use this link here to move to their sign-in page and then enter your username and password.
- Press the Admission Center tab after completing the signing in process.
- Click on the View My Application Status tab to check on your application status.
- From the My Application segment, press on the View Details tab that corresponds to the college you applied to.
What is CUNY transfer application acceptance rate?
The transfer student rate is 8% in CUNY and a total of 1245 students are transferred in 43 programs. The total student acceptance rate for CUNY is 87%.
Does CUNY accept transfer credits?
Yes, CUNY accepts transfer credits from other different organizations and Universities or educational institutes.
If you want to transfer to CUNY from any other University, the best way to do it is to start working on it early. For students with varied interests and needs, CUNY is the obvious choice for people shifting to New York. Reading more about the CUNY admission details from this segment will help you understand what you need to move to CUNY.