Tuition fees can be daunting for a family to pay if they work hard to draw their payments. Most often, a lot of students discontinue their studies as their families cannot pay their school bills.
If you are in such a situation, go ahead and try for NYS TAP. They are a fund that will help not only in clearing school fees but also be helpful for students attending part-time SUNY, CUNY, and non-profit degree-granting colleges.
What is NYS TAP?
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program is a facility for New Yorkers attending school from a certain year. Based on the academic year when they begin their studies, an annual grant of $5665 will be given to the students. The amount need not be paid back as this is a grant and not a loan.
Part-time college students of CUNY (City University of New York), SUNY (State University of New York), and non-profit organizations will also be eligible to receive the grant based on the year of their enrollment. Those freshmen from 2006-2007 with 12 credits in two one-after-the-other semesters with an average of “C” can also apply for the grant.
Who is Eligible for TAP?
Eligible for NYS TAP includes the following;
- Individuals must be legal residents of the United States and must have stayed in the United States for 12 continuous months.
- Either the individual must be a US citizen or a non-US citizen.
- Those who graduate from high school or a high school diploma equivalent will benefit immensely.
- If you have gone to an approved post-secondary institution in the New York state.
- A C average with matriculation and in good academic standing in the 4th semester can apply for the program.
- They must be a full time student with 12 or more credits towards the degree for every semester.
- Every family applying for the program must also meet the income eligibility requirements.
- The students must not be defaulters of the Federal loan programs.
- They must be compliant with the service terms and conditions presented by an NYS award.
NYS TAP Application Requirements
For filing an NYS TAP application, there will be several requirements one has to fulfill.
- Individuals must be US citizens with a valid government-approved identity card.
- The student must be staying for at least 12 months before their first term.
- If the first one does not apply then they must look to the second condition to check if that can apply on behest of the same. They must be a legal resident for the last two high school semesters.
- If they have served in the armed forces, Peace Corps, or Vista, they must have been New York residents during that time or just gotten back to New York as a citizen within six months from release.
- They must fulfill the required age limit needed for the funding.
- Each of them must submit their entire family’s income including the amounts earned through any special funding that the family might be receiving.
- The student is at least paying $200 every year towards tuition fees.
- If the student is from the US, they must have a social security number, and if not a valid Visa and passport are essential.
- The waiver must be completed before the end of the term.
- The grant is given to those who must meet future requirements.
- You will need your parent’s date of birth.
- A student’s and their parent’s 2014 Federal income tax return.
- Untaxed returns from different benefit schemes and other income types.
- A valid email address is a must for starting your FAFSA application.
NYS TAP application Online Process (in Steps)
Once you miss applying through FAFSA, you will get a mail from HESC within 3-4 days about it, given you are enrolled in an NYS college as per your FAFSA form.
- The mail will send you intimation about the way you need to fill your form.
- To start with your application, you will have to create a HESC username and HESC PIN.
- When electronically signing your application form, you must use your identification number. Also when you use the account anytime, you will need it.
- The application form is present at https://www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw/.
- Fill in your FAFSA details and also include your personal details alongwith your professional and educational details. The form will take some time to complete and until it’s done, you can save and revisit your form.
- The deadline for the application was 30th June.
Also Read: PSLF Waiver Application Porcess Details
How to Apply for TAP through FAFSA?
To apply through FAFSA, you will need to follow the usual process mentioned above.
- However, there is a link directly to apply for TAP from the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form itself.
- Use your FSA ID to start the application, sign, and submit it to the Federal Government.
If you complete with FAFSA there is no separate need to complete a TAP application.
FAQs Related to NYS TAP
Does FAFSA automatically applies for TAP?
No, you have to fill in a form separately for FAFSA.
Is TAP separate from FAFSA?
Yes, TAP is definitely a separate entity from FAFSA.
How long does NYS TAP take to process?
It takes 3 to 5 weeks to complete the processing of NYS TAP application processing.
Here is what you must know about the NYS TAP application before starting the application for it. Whether in school or college, you can get considerable help from them and the funding they provide.