Several countries have strict biometric laws and regulations. Facebook and Snapchat were recently booked for recording and maintaining biometric details under different cases. Snapchat violated the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA).
According to BIPA, one cannot store or use unauthorized biometric identifiers. If any of you are not clear with the definition of biometrics, here are a few examples of biometrics.
- Face scans
- Retina scans
- Facial geometry scans
The law was passed under the Privacy Act in 2008. With the law, there is a detailing of the way such biometric information has to be collected and destroyed. Photographs and short videos were incorporated within such definitions and dimensions.
What is Snapchat lawsuit 2023?
There are two Snapchat lawsuits with forms for 2023. These lawsuits are running against Snapchat and they were filed by Maribel Ocampo and Plaintiffs Adrian Coss.
Under BIPA, the company needs to inform the user of the duration for which their biometric data will be stored. They also need written informed consent to intimate the users that their biometric data will be stored with the company for running the chat or the video.
Another lawsuit is filed for not allowing music from playing on their platforms. SUISA has filed it stating that Snapchat should compensate all creators and authors for illegal and ongoing use of their creative work.
How to Apply for Snapchat lawsuit 2023 application?
There is a separate claim form for adults and children.
Application link for Adults
Link of application for Children
- Add your contact information
- Include your email address, phone number, and address
- City where you lived, the first time Snapchat use date and time, and the last time you use it.
- Different types of devices used by you for performing facial recognition
- Add your Snapchat details
- Age details of your children if any below 13 years and this column are specifically for adults.
What are the Snapchat lawsuit application requirements?
You must have used the biometric analysis during that particular span for which the lawsuit is filed.
Who is Eligible?
You are eligible if you are a resident of Illinois.
If your biometric information is sold, leased, or traded, you must be eligible for the compensation.
Not just monetary benefits but the lawsuits will also raise awareness in people.
- The compensation could be somewhere between $500 to $1000 if Snapchat loses the lawsuit. The total amount of compensation could be as high as 2.5 billion US dollars.
- The Illinois lawsuits against Facebook and Snapchat can be an eye-opener for the society where they can know what must be done if they feel their information is compensated.
- It will establish the law and order within the states and the countries helping take calls for similar issues.
Snapchat lawsuit 2023 claim form
The claim form for Snapchat is available online using the following links. I Have shared the form links already in the “How to Apply” Section.
If you are in Illinois and want to know more about the lawsuits briefly, follow this article. Additionally, it also tells you more about the application process and eligibility requirements.